SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

When you install it there will be an activation screen asking for a validation code and explaining the 30 day trial. If you didn't see that screen and have to enter the code then you must already have a license or it thinks you do.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtsitmn
During the install, I saw no mention of a trial period, and I installed it twice just to have another look. I also set my clock ahead a month and rebooted to see what would happen. It worked fine, except my trial copy of Sage expired! Time will tell.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
When you install it there will be an activation screen asking for a validation code and explaining the 30 day trial. If you didn't see that screen and have to enter the code then you must already have a license or it thinks you do.

peace . . .

Oh, but I didn't want their DVD software, only the decoder. Even after the DVD trial ends the decoder still works. SWEET!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Its not too bad as long as you're using it for what it was designed for which is SD resolution DVDs. If you viewing in HD 1920x1080 native with a decent video card you obviously can (and should) get much better results.

peace . . .

Quote:
Oh, but I didn't want their DVD software, only the decoder. Even after the DVD trial ends the decoder still works. SWEET!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Sage User

Actually, HD recordings look great. Not quite as good as watching live using the HDTV's built-in tuner, but very, very nice indeed! Noticeably better than the quality of DVD movies you rent or buy at the store. Quite amazing!

(See my other posting about my S.O. for a slight clarification.)
Old 05-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

I expect you have yet to see the best your display can do.

Have you ever had your display hooked up directly to an ATSC signal other than with an HTPC? Like a cable STB or an STB that gets OTA? Compare something like live action sports between a good source and your HTPC with the cyberlink decoder then get back to me

BTW what video card are you using and how do you have it conntected?

peace . . .

Quote:
Actually, HD recordings look great. Not quite as good as watching live using the HDTV's built-in tuner, but very, very nice indeed! Noticeably better than the quality of DVD movies you rent or buy at the store. Quite amazing!

(See my other posting about my S.O. for a slight clarification.)
Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I expect you have yet to see the best your display can do.

Have you ever had your display hooked up directly to an ATSC signal other than with an HTPC? Like a cable STB or an STB that gets OTA? Compare something like live action sports between a good source and your HTPC with the cyberlink decoder then get back to me

BTW what video card are you using and how do you have it conntected?

peace . . .
That's what I've been trying to say. I have indeed seen true HD. That's what I've been comparing my HTPC to. My new 60" Sony SXRD has a built-in HDTV tuner. The OTA HD picture is truly outstanding. Nature films broadcast in HD are incredible. Even watching Letterman or Leno make you feel almost as though you are there in the audience. It's almost 3D. Sports are nice too, although I'm not a sports fan. Nascar is broadcast in HD. With the stereo cranked up, you think you can almost smell the fumes. So I do know what I'm talking about. Sage with a good decoder gives a great picture on HD; just not quite as good as watching live using the HDTV tuner. But IMHO, the Sage picture is clearly superior to playing standard DVD movies. (And I have a good DVD player connected using HDMI, likewise my HTPC.)
Old 05-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry you missed my point but lets just say it was a lousy throw. My business partner has the same display, it's spiffy.

Quote:
Sage with a good decoder gives a great picture on HD; just not quite as good as watching live using the HDTV tuner.
Exactly. And you can close that gap by improving the limiting factor which because of the current state of technology (not quite there yet) is mostly going to be your vid card, decoder and whether you are able to get FSE working or not.

Quote:
But IMHO, the Sage picture is clearly superior to playing standard DVD movies. (And I have a good DVD player connected using HDMI, likewise my HTPC.)
Its not only your opinion its also technically correct! . HD is just a higher resolution than DVDs. My point is your Sage HD recordings can look a lot more like your HD tuner less like the DVD's.

Do you know which video card you have?

peace . . .
Old 05-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Do you know which video card you have?

peace . . .
It's an ATI X1300 with DVI output which goes straight into the HDTV's HDMI input.

This has been a real learning experience. I expected that I would be able to get the exact same quality picture from a recording, but it sounds like state-of-the-art in the HTPC world doesn't yet match what manufacturers like Sony can do. Now that I think about it, expecting that sounds a bit naïve. It's frustrating to know that all the necessary data to produce an excellent picture exists on the PC, but I can't get it to the TV. Too bad I can't transmit the data to the TV's HDTV tuner, and let it figure it out as though it were a live broadcast.