SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-04-2006, 10:08 AM

This NOT a SageTV bug, as to what is causing it must likly possable is harddrive not wirting all the bits of the file or other possable the broadcast when haywire which turn cause the encoder to go haywire there a number other thing cause this to.

Last edited by SHS; 06-04-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

The hard audio error and stuttering ...

This is NOT a SageTV bug ... maybe but I need some help here ... names of diagnostics software, burnin utilities, gentoo burnin or bad block scanning software, networking torture test utilities. Everything I do seems to work ok when I'm trying to torture test it.

The hard audio error and stuttering were fixed by changing to the PVR 150 drivers instead of the MCE 500 drivers, but the files continued to delete (favorite recordings only not the manual records). (and by the by the recordings seemed clearer/cleaner)
I am going to use the manufactures hard disk utilities to check the drives and am seriously considering getting spinrite as am I not getting any reported hard disk errors on those drives (5 hard disks two different machines 3 different batches) with other software.
Next week I will be getting a GigaBit switch and will be going full Gigabit with cat 6 cabling which will add another layer of diagnostics to the equation (All new nics all new cables all new switch with advanced network diagnostics unless that was just to sell more cards).

Someone suggested that the random jumping in my files may have been caused by a PTS error and I was just looking for more help. I thought the random jumping was caused by the 'hard' audio error reseting the time codes.

None of my new manual recordings have the 'hard' audio error now ... files still deleting with a log of them being 'invaid' ... no more than 305 seconds to find out why.

Thanks for your time,
Bobby

I will cease posting to this thread as I do not have the random ff/rw skipping problems anymore

Last edited by perfessor101; 06-04-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Sage User

There is a registry entry change that has helped some people. See this thread for more info:

I am going to try this tonight and see if it fixes my timeline issues.

Here are my problems: In the middle of a show, the video would start going really fast and the timeline would show a total of 2min30sec on a 30 minute video. After 2:30, the video would continue, but with no control.

Yes, VideoRedo did fix this with the Quickstream Fix, but that's a serious inconvenience to fix the timeline issue.

UPDATE: The registry entry seems to have fixed the timeline corruption as of 6/20/06

Last edited by bgarts; 06-20-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Just a heads-up: I installed the 20.43_24108 drivers and added the registry settings about a month ago, and did not have a single recording with a corrupted timeline ever since.

This definetly fixed the issue for me. Yahoo

Dirk
Old 06-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a like problem with my system. I have two Hauppauge 500s and 2 ATI eHomeWonder cards. There are times when recordings on the ATI cards have timing issues too. So, it is not just an Hauppauge card issue. Does not seem to be a broadcast issue either because I have the problem regardless of the channel or the show. It is not a constant problem either. Been happening more lately though. Have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:53 PM

After reading both forums, people are talking about two driver sets, 24108 and 24054. Is there a concensus as to which driver is more likely to fix the timeline issue?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:48 AM

Unhappy cpu utilization increase?

I recently upgraded to the 20.43_24108 drivers and installed the registry entries and it definately fixed the corrupted timeline problems (I was getting it almost 100% of the time)

Has anyone noticed that after installing the newer drivers you get significantly higher CPU utilization? I have 2x500 & 1x150 and before the driver upgrade I could easily record on 4 tuners and play back simultaneously. Now I get hitches in the playback when recording more than one show.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Sage User

while time issue happen all the time and somtimes upgrading components drivers or system core which fix this problem, though if problem doe persist at a later stage it's quite posssible that the raid itself might...

i find raids are good for mass storage solusions for open playback they're not to good while it works it's fine, once errors start then nothing but problems will happen..

sometimes raid systems are not enough, in some cases dual or quad cpu's are needed and alot of ram also is required, i doubt 2 gb could handle multiple tv signals...
i find in some cases some people who build hdtv servers tend to under build thier systems...
sorry for resurection of this thread!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question timeline corrupted only for Imported Videos

Hi All,
I've read all the timeline threads (I think) and have had an issue every once in a while but no real problem. I recently got my old Celeron out of mothballs and stuck an A-180 in it since I bought this 3rd A-180 and could not use 3 in same machine (on my server) due to driver issues. Now when I record OTA HD with this tuner it is OK on the Celeron--timeline is perfect and plays ok. When I go to my client machine (or Placeshifter from work) and play it as an Imported Video EVERY recording is corrupted, showing something like 0:4:10.
Yet, when I go back to Celeron machine the SAME recorded show is OK. So it seems only corrupted during playback.

I used to have Hauppauge tuners (Pvr-150's) in the Celeron so maybe those drivers are messing things up. Any thoughts??

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Sage Icon

Are you running Sage on the Celeron, or just using the OEM tuner software? It sounds like you are using the OEM software since you are trying ot play it as an imported video.

Sounds like it is getting recorded into an "imported Video" folder that your Sage server is monitoring. Sage is scanning the import folder during the time that the OEM software is still creating the file. That is why you are getting the timeline creation. The solution is to record to a different folder on the same drive and then do a file move to the import folder. Another option would be to use the the newer V6 betas which, IIRC, have an option to enable/disable automatic import folder scanning. After you recorded the show, you could trigger a manual rescan of the folder. Or else install a copy of SageTV (full, not client) to the Celeron, and set it up as a network encoder.

If you are using Sage on the Celeron, then Sage knows that that file is still active and won't scan it incomplete. It also would show up as a recording instead of an Imported Video. That is why I'm guessing you are just using the OEM software for the tuner.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up Timeline fixed

THAT FIXED IT!!!! Thanks Ke6guj----I created a new folder and moved recording to it and it works.
I did not want to do a network encoder since I want this as a backup only on my main shows since I am always finding ways to mess my system up (updates, etc.) and now and then miss a recording.

Thanks again for your response and help.

Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 12-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Sage Icon

This just bit me on a couple of recordings 2 days ago. Seems hit or miss on one of the tuners on my 500. 30min show stopped after maybe 3min. Since sage didn't stop it after the delete window popped up I went back to the frozen image and managed to get it to resume play and watched the rest of it. the time counter ended up hitting 7hrs, went to zero, then counted another 30min before it hit the end of the file. media player will only play the first 3min.

I've tried the registry fix and rebooted. We'll see how things go.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Sage User

I changed the registry entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\DSFilters\TSSplitter to RebuildPTS=0 but am still having the issue on ~40% of recordings. A 30minute recording has a timecode that advances by intervals of near 15seconds (not consistent).

1. Anyone figure out any pattern to how this happens??
2. As a workaround anyone found a good player I can watch these broken recordings in? I was using Winamp but I can't use the streamzap remote to advance in the recordings (incidentally it seems like pieces of the shows are missing in the broken recordings).
3. Is there a freeware like Videoredo that will fix the time codes?

Here's my hardware/software:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Model MS-6380E
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2145 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 358.54 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.86 GB

Sagetv 5.04.92
Hauppauge pvr500
Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Sage Icon

Try adding these registry settings:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hcwPP2\DriverData]
"HcwTimeStampIssue1"=dword:00000001
"HcwTimeStampIssue2"=dword:00000000

or download the attached file and run it. Then reboot your system to make it take effect.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PVR-500 Time Stamp Fix.zip (300 Bytes, 333 views)

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Sage User

I had the same error with the timeline running 3x faster than normal. I used the registry fix and DL'd the hauppage drivers in this thread.

I made 3 recordings since the fix and everything is working well. The bad thing is I can't get the previous recordings to play normally.

Thanks for the help, I'm just going to delete the shows that aren't playing right and hope they have a rerun soon.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Sage User

I"m having a problem with similar symptoms to this. The problem is that I'm using 2 PVR-250 and a PVR-350 in my system. The problems didn't start until I upgraded from 6.0.19 and they've persisted through every version since then up until now at 6.1.8.

The first week I went through the ordeal of taking the server down, and backing up all of the shows, then reformatting all of the disk with 64K sectors after reading a thread that suggested that.

I've made no software other changes since I've upgraded, until yesterday. Yesterday I completely uninstalled sage, all haupage drivers, java, and all other apps on my server and reinstalled it. The issue came up again today.

This system has been stable and running since 2003, so I'm not ruling out hardware going bad, but I wouldn't expect that to be s random.

The symptoms is that either the video skips around either locks up eventually or skips to the end of the file. The sound will sometimes continue playing after the video locks up.

The other symptom is that the video seems perfect but there is no sound in Sage at all. The those cases when I try to play the file in VideoRed or some other player the sound is garbled like a cassette tape being eaten in fast forward. I've tried taking one encoder out and that seemed to help a little, but he problem resurfaced. I've had bad recording occur on all 3 encoders, sometime 1 in 10 sometime 5 in a row, and all may different channels. I've verified also that the issue has happened on files on all 7 of my hard drives, so I've crossed off a bad drive in my mind (plus I just reformatted all of them less than 4 weeks ago).

I'm tempted to try going back to 6.0.19 and seeing if the issue goes away. Is anyone else having this problem with the current released version of Sage on Hauppage PVR-250 &/or PVR-350 mutli-tuner setups?

I've opened a support issue with Sage.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Sage User

Timeline problem (mine is fixed)

I just wanted to crosspost here to say that I had issues similar to those described here and it turned out to be the NVidia IDE driver I was using. I downloaded an nvidia driver package and it was installed as part of that. Switching to the generic microsoft IDE driver fixed it completely.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...5&postcount=10

If you're getting invalid recordings that show timeline issues like I was, I suggest looking in your windows event log (control panel -> administrative tools-> event viewer) to see if there are disk errors being reported.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Sage Icon

Is the nVidia IDE driver from boards with nforce chipsets? If so, then it wouldn't apply to non nforce boards.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
Is the nVidia IDE driver from boards with nforce chipsets? If so, then it wouldn't apply to non nforce boards.
My problem seems to have been due to the nvidia nforce chipset in a Compaq desktop, but I would say in general, if you're having video file errors under windows it's worthwhile to check in event manager to see if you're getting disk write errors. I had been getting them for maybe two weeks and until I looked in event manager I had no indication there was a problem, other than the corrupt video files.