SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
If the Sage core would offer a color swatch I would use it, but coding this from scratch, nah thanks ... Start with something like 437C8D ...
Check out javax_swing_JColorChooser_showDialog(). You can't use it from an MVP, but it works from a windowed instance. That's how the default STV handles color selection in a couple places.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr599
It's back to hanging again and I didn't even load the XML file yet.
Which tells me that it can't be anything SageMC specific...

Quote:
When you reinstalled the default SageTV, did you install any other imports before installing SageMC ?

Dirk
[/QUOTE]

Dirk,
This is SO odd and I'm sorry for the early alarm. I un-installed everything again and cleaned out any registry entries related to Sage or Frey. I also created new folders for my music, pictures, video & recordings directory. I moved the stuff inside those aside for now. I re-installed Sagetv, set that all up and watched for a while to make sure everything was running good. Then I extracted the SageMC 6.3.0 full. I haven't set that up yet (I'm a little nervous), but so far with MC just in the SageTV directory it's still working good.
To answer your question, no I didn't install any imports before SageTV. I cleaned everything out real good. Same as I did this last time, but now everything seems to be going ok.
For now everything is going well and I'll be importing SageTV here shortly.
Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Dana
Old 11-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Check out javax_swing_JColorChooser_showDialog(). You can't use it from an MVP, but it works from a windowed instance. That's how the default STV handles color selection in a couple places.

- Andy
I just have to wonder if Andy uses this STV. I've always wondered that... You poke your head in here pretty often, but I'm not sure I've ever noticed a comment about you using it!

Just wondering...
Old 11-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Dirk,
Me again. ok, now I might have found something and it's probably something I'm not doing correctly.
As I said before everything was working fine and decided to jump into getting SageMC 6.3.0 going. I did that and everything went well.

This is where things went wrong. If you remember from my last post, I moved all my current media files (they are separated into Music, Video, Pictures & Recordings directories) to a temporary directory & re-created new music, video, pictures & recordings folders before the re-install .

Well after getting SageMC working good I wanted to move all my media files back to the directories I setup in Sage. I shut down Sage and using Windows Explorer, I moved all my movies back to the Videos folder, re-started Sage, re-scanned the import directory and everything was fine.

I shut down Sage again and moved my music (again using Windows Explorer) to the newly created music folder, re-started Sage, re-scanned import folder and all my music was there. But now my video for normal TV is VERY choppy. It studders fairly bad. I shut down SageTV again and moved my music back out of the new music folder. I re-started SageTV and then HANG and navigating through menu's is very slow again.

Now I feel like I might possibly be narrowing this down. I absolutly feel I'm doing some steps wrong. Are there steps involved with bringing media files back into Sage that I missed somewhere. I've been trying to find posts for what meta-data does and what .my files are and have wondered if that has anything to do with it.

Does this help you at all with what is going terribly wrong over here?
Old 11-25-2006, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
I just have to wonder if Andy uses this STV. I've always wondered that... You poke your head in here pretty often, but I'm not sure I've ever noticed a comment about you using it!

Just wondering...
Although I certainly would be very happy about such a 'prominent' user, I doubt that this is the case ...

Dirk
Old 11-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Sage Icon

pvr599. How long did you wait before moving files around, after you got the slow response from Sage menus and video? The only thing I can think of, is that Sage is trying to index your files or something in the background, and that is why everything is acting slow. If you haven't given it very much time, I'd let it sit for at least a few hours, to see if it clears up.

I would think it would take that long, but then again, I've never tried to move things around like that.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Although I certainly would be very happy about such a 'prominent' user, I doubt that this is the case ...

Dirk
What, like maybe he has his own personal STV or something? Or just using Sage out of the box ?
Old 11-25-2006, 02:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Dirk,

I shut down Sage again and moved my music (again using Windows Explorer) to the newly created music folder, re-started Sage, re-scanned import folder and all my music was there. But now my video for normal TV is VERY choppy. It studders fairly bad. I shut down SageTV again and moved my music back out of the new music folder. I re-started SageTV and then HANG and navigating through menu's is very slow again.
Clueless ...
This is so weird. I don't think you did anything wrong, those steps are perfectly fine to add video and music files back into the Sage database. I can't really understand how adding new info to the wiz.bin (that's basically what the import does) could affect video playback, or worse... And no, you don't need to mess around with .my files in your case.

So it's definitely the music import which is screwing things up ? What kind of music (format) are you importing ? And after you moved the files back out of the folder, did you do a rescan to get rid off the info, and did this restore the situation to normal ? Again, I'm pretty clueless ...

Dirk
Old 11-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Clueless ...
This is so weird. I don't think you did anything wrong, those steps are perfectly fine to add video and music files back into the Sage database. I can't really understand how adding new info to the wiz.bin (that's basically what the import does) could affect video playback, or worse... And no, you don't need to mess around with .my files in your case.

So it's definitely the music import which is screwing things up ? What kind of music (format) are you importing ? And after you moved the files back out of the folder, did you do a rescan to get rid off the info, and did this restore the situation to normal ? Again, I'm pretty clueless ...

Dirk
Maybe it's the import routine checking the files (it checks each one for tags, and to see if they are valid files I believe). Takes a good deal of your CPU to do it.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
As a forum admin, I check out all parts of the forum. As the current developer for the default STV, its features + the hidden extras have everything I need to use. To me, the question of which STV someone should use isn't really a contest of which one is better for everyone... I see it as a good thing that people have the choice, or they can make their own modifications. That was the whole point when I wrote the Studio manual and its tutorials: help others get more out of Studio and SageTV. With that in mind, I'll also post or PM comments/suggestions that might help a developer make their STV better. In return, some people have offered suggestions & code to me too. I figure it all works out pretty well.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
pvr599. How long did you wait before moving files around, after you got the slow response from Sage menus and video? The only thing I can think of, is that Sage is trying to index your files or something in the background, and that is why everything is acting slow. If you haven't given it very much time, I'd let it sit for at least a few hours, to see if it clears up.

I would think it would take that long, but then again, I've never tried to move things around like that.
Geogecko,
I didn't wait long. I could move them and wait overnight. How do you move files into Sage? I'm just curious and would like to try something else.

Quote:
So it's definitely the music import which is screwing things up ? What kind of music (format) are you importing ? And after you moved the files back out of the folder, did you do a rescan to get rid off the info, and did this restore the situation to normal ?
Dirk,
I'm probably 99.9% positive it has something to do with adding my media files back and it seems like it's the worst after adding music. All my music files are mp3's and I have just over 1,000 mp3's. Here is what I did to fix the problem, but without my mp3's. I exited SageTV, opened SageClient.properties and changed the XML back to the default. I took the whole music folder and moved it, then created a new, blank one. I started Sage & service, went to my music and the music files were gone. I loaded SageMC back in and now it's working fine again.

Quote:
Maybe it's the import routine checking the files (it checks each one for tags, and to see if they are valid files I believe). Takes a good deal of your CPU to do it.
heffe2001,
Do you agree with Geogecko? Should I move them back over and just see what happens overnight?

Thanks everyone!!!
Dana
Old 11-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

ok, I just tried something.
Before I went went into the properties file and changed back to the default XML, I moved the music folder to a temporary folder and just deleted the music folder I had all my music in. In default Sage, I deleted all my media directories. I went back out to Windows Explorer, created a new Music folder and moved all my music back to that folder (where I wanted to keep them permenantly). I went back into SageTV, loaded SageMC, went into My Music, Options, Manage Music Folder and re-created a Music folder and pointed it at the new Music folder I created. I re-scanned and within a minute or so all my music is there and Sage is working great. I shut down SageTV and re-started just to make sure it didn't hang on startup. All looks GOOD!!
Problem solved....I think.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
As a forum admin, I check out all parts of the forum. As the current developer for the default STV, its features + the hidden extras have everything I need to use. To me, the question of which STV someone should use isn't really a contest of which one is better for everyone... I see it as a good thing that people have the choice, or they can make their own modifications. That was the whole point when I wrote the Studio manual and its tutorials: help others get more out of Studio and SageTV. With that in mind, I'll also post or PM comments/suggestions that might help a developer make their STV better. In return, some people have offered suggestions & code to me too. I figure it all works out pretty well.

- Andy
Very good points. I'm glad that studio was finally released to the general public, even though I haven't poked around with it too much, I hope to do more with it in the future, if I get more time with a kid on the way?!

Choice is a good thing. While I think the default STV would work for everything (almost) I need, the simplisticness of SageMC helps with WAF a lot. I also like having the custom menus, when I need them, to just be able to enable one, and select the internal menu name, and there it is...
Old 11-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Quote:
I hope to do more with it in the future, if I get more time with a kid on the way?!...
LOL...as a dad of an 8 month old....forget it! Although Mike in Maui seems to keep getting stuff done. I'm thinking he must have his new babies learning photoshop already....
Old 11-25-2006, 08:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker
LOL...as a dad of an 8 month old....forget it! Although Mike in Maui seems to keep getting stuff done. I'm thinking he must have his new babies learning photoshop already....

So close to the truth it's scary...
Old 11-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Sage Icon

Hmm...this doesn't sound too good... Well, we'll see, I guess. It's going to be exciting.

I should get at least twice as much as Mike gets done, since I'm only aware of one child being born!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sluggish response in Guide

When I scroll through the Guide, it is very jumpy. The selection bar will go down a couple channels, hestitate, go a few more, hesitate and so on. It is pretty bad. I've been ignoring the problem because I thought it was in my system. Tonight, I finally tested with the standard STV, and it scrolls through the guide smoothly. So this jumping seems to be unique to SageMC. I also tested with the the stock SageMC graphics as apposed to with icons I've installed, but no difference. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?
Old 11-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm
When I scroll through the Guide, it is very jumpy. The selection bar will go down a couple channels, hestitate, go a few more, hesitate and so on. It is pretty bad. I've been ignoring the problem because I thought it was in my system. Tonight, I finally tested with the standard STV, and it scrolls through the guide smoothly. So this jumping seems to be unique to SageMC. I also tested with the the stock SageMC graphics as apposed to with icons I've installed, but no difference. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?
I had this issue once before. In sageMC options setting guide coloring to disabled fixed it for me. At some point thougb I re-enabled it and it still works fine now. I thought it was just a quirk with my system. It is worth a shot though.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
ok, I just tried something.
Before I went went into the properties file and changed back to the default XML, I moved the music folder to a temporary folder and just deleted the music folder I had all my music in. In default Sage, I deleted all my media directories. I went back out to Windows Explorer, created a new Music folder and moved all my music back to that folder (where I wanted to keep them permenantly). I went back into SageTV, loaded SageMC, went into My Music, Options, Manage Music Folder and re-created a Music folder and pointed it at the new Music folder I created. I re-scanned and within a minute or so all my music is there and Sage is working great. I shut down SageTV and re-started just to make sure it didn't hang on startup. All looks GOOD!!
Problem solved....I think.
Wonder if there might not have been some bad data in the file system's entries for that old music directory? Possibly could have been the problem.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

MVP Reboots when starting Live or Recorded TV. I have just installed the lastest build of SageMC, 6.3.0 and latest Beta of SageTV 6.0.15. Everything is working great on my PC, but when I tried loading it on my MVP I can't watch any video, it just reboots the MVP. I have no idea why, the MVP worked fine with the original STV.

Edit:
Seems to have fixed itself. It works fine now today.

Last edited by vividweb; 11-26-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Closed Thread