SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Sage Expert

I've been fighting slow menus and stuttery video for the past week or so. I finally decided it was time for a total reinstall so I went back to the default STV and wrote down all of my settings for my tuners, import directories etc. While in the default STV I thought I'd look around (hadn't even looked at the v6 STV yet). Surprisingly the menus were lightning fast and video played back perfectly. If I go back to the v6.2.0a SageMC STV, menus are slow, I keep getting the spinning Sage logo, and video playback is spotty. Has anyone had this issue? I have grown to love SageMC but right now it has become unusable. I'm hoping a reinstall of Sage from scratch will help it along.
Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4 Gig DDR2-800, 8.5 TB storage, 8800GTS PCIe, Windows 7 32bit, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge HVR-2250, HD-HomeRun, Fusion 5 USB Gold ATSC, SageTV v7.x, HD100, HD200, HD300, 60" Mitsubishi DLP
Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Sage Icon

On that system, it should always be lightning fast. I think it has a lot to do with Java. I've had SageMC be really fast at times, and really slow. Right now, it's in one of those slow ruts, where I get the spinning icon fairly often. I'm using Java 1.6.0 with the b99 snapshot.

Every once in a while, I'll play around with the version of Java, just haven't had time recently.

What source has the stuttering video? All of them, or just one in particular? It may not be a factor for all, but when one of my FusionHDTV5 Lite PCI cards was sharing the same IRQ with the video card, it stuttered frequently, both audio and video. Once I moved things around (the PVR-500 didn't seem to mind being on the same IRQ as the VGA card), it was fixed. You can find out in Device Manager, switch to Resources by Type view, and then look at IRQ's.

Last edited by geogecko; 10-28-2006 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers_35
Think I may have found 1 small bug on the main menu. When using MCE style menu, when I select the "My Menu" item it doesnt display the little picture (little guy holding a newspaper looks like) to the right. When using the Sage style menus it displays properly. Tried poking around in studio but got lost very quickly

Miller
Hi Miller,

it works fine for me, in both styles. Do you have a "hove_my explorer.png" icon in your images directory ?

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 08:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
On that system, it should always be lightning fast. I think it has a lot to do with Java. I've had SageMC be really fast at times, and really slow. Right now, it's in one of those slow ruts, where I get the spinning icon fairly often. I'm using Java 1.6.0 with the b99 snapshot.
I only have a Celeron with an old MX4000 running Sage Server and Client on my HTPC (at 1360x768), and the SageMC UI is as snappy as it could be, I very seldomly get the spinning icon. I also use java 1.6.0 latest snapshot which seems to be slightly faster than 1.4, but it also runs on java 1.4 just fine ...

One thing to try would be to increase the maximum java heap size for Sage in the registry. If you feel comfortable enough to do this, change

HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Frey Technologies/SageTV/JVMMaxHeapSizeMB to 256 or 512 decimal (512 should be fine if you have 2GB main memory)

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix35
one thing though... maybe its been already answered in this thread but i can't seem to find any reference to it... is there gonna be a "Compress" command implemented soon to enable us to transcode our recording to other formats? (as in sagetv6)

thanks once again.
Hi matrix35,

I doubt it will be "soon" (development going slower these days), but it is definetly something which will be added to SageMC along the way. I've heard that 2-pass encoding will be added to the new upcoming beta, so I definetly won't look at this before that, too much could get changed again. Also, there is an 'alternative' compression project from a well known dev in progress which probably will be much better than the Sage Core stuff, we'll see ...

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Hi Miller,

it works fine for me, in both styles. Do you have a "hover_my explorer.png" icon in your images directory ?

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
I only have a Celeron with an old MX4000 running Sage Server and Client on my HTPC (at 1360x768), and the SageMC UI is as snappy as it could be, I very seldomly get the spinning icon. I also use java 1.6.0 latest snapshot which seems to be slightly faster than 1.4, but it also runs on java 1.4 just fine ...

One thing to try would be to increase the maximum java heap size for Sage in the registry. If you feel comfortable enough to do this, change

HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Frey Technologies/SageTV/JVMMaxHeapSizeMB to 256 or 512 decimal (512 should be fine if you have 2GB main memory)

Dirk
LOL, I only have 1GB main memory right now...are you telling me I must upgrade, I can tell the wife, if you tell me...
Old 10-28-2006, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
LOL, I only have 1GB main memory right now...are you telling me I must upgrade, I can tell the wife, if you tell me...
That was actually meant for White94Cobra with his 2GB ...

But of course I'd help you with that, do you need this in writing for your wife ? Just dont tell her that I also only have 1GB ...

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Sage Icon

What is the default JVM heap size in Sage? I'm re-doing my HTPC right now (assembling the new parts) and I got 1GB of ram. I guess I should up the heap size to at least 256?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
What is the default JVM heap size in Sage? I'm re-doing my HTPC right now (assembling the new parts) and I got 1GB of ram. I guess I should up the heap size to at least 256?
I believe the standard heap size in Sage is set to 128MB. With 1GB a heap size of 256MB should be no problem (that's what I did on my machine)

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Sage Icon

Umm...mine is set to 0MB...is that a problem?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Sage Icon

Maybe 0MB sets it to use the Java default?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Sage Icon

Could be. I just updated to the newest Oct. 1.6.0 snapshot, and changed that to 256 (dec), so we'll see how that goes.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
Maybe 0MB sets it to use the Java default?
It sure is ... Otherwise Sage wouldn't even start up ...

Edit: well, actually it could either be the java default (which is 64MB), or some kind of Sage default (I think I remember a post from Jeff that it is 128 MB)

Dirk

Last edited by dflachbart; 10-28-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Sage Icon

Hmm...well at 256MB, and the latest snapshot, it's better, but I still see the spinning Sage icon for at least a half second or so...So far, I haven't had any of those really long pauses though, so that's good!
Old 10-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:

Every once in a while, I'll play around with the version of Java, just haven't had time recently.

What source has the stuttering video? All of them, or just one in particular? It may not be a factor for all, but when one of my FusionHDTV5 Lite PCI cards was sharing the same IRQ with the video card, it stuttered frequently, both audio and video. Once I moved things around (the PVR-500 didn't seem to mind being on the same IRQ as the VGA card), it was fixed. You can find out in Device Manager, switch to Resources by Type view, and then look at IRQ's.
You'd think... the stuttering video doesn't seem to be video-card related (I've dealt with that in the past). More like system overload (Hard Drive and CPU). What's strange is it happens even when nothing is recording. The video will pause, speed way up, pause again, freeze, go in slow motion, speed up again. This does primarily happen when it is recording multiple HD sources, however it was happening last night even with nothing recording. It is worst when viewing "My Videos". I moved back to the base Java version that Sage comes with, but no luck. I would think it was system or Sage related, except it only happens when I run SageMC. I figured it's been years since I totally removed and reinstalled Sage - I have so many bits and pieces of different STV's in there.

I'm starting to think it's the built-in Sage sensor that only acts up when someone else is watching TV with me
Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4 Gig DDR2-800, 8.5 TB storage, 8800GTS PCIe, Windows 7 32bit, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge HVR-2250, HD-HomeRun, Fusion 5 USB Gold ATSC, SageTV v7.x, HD100, HD200, HD300, 60" Mitsubishi DLP
Old 10-28-2006, 10:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White94Cobra
I'm starting to think it's the built-in Sage sensor that only acts up when someone else is watching TV with me
You have one of those too? Mine was a mother-in-law sensor. She stayed with us to help with the babies for a while. She was the only one who could lock up sage. And she did it nearly every single time she touched it. I still don't know how she did it.

Mike
Old 10-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by White94Cobra
You'd think... the stuttering video doesn't seem to be video-card related (I've dealt with that in the past). More like system overload (Hard Drive and CPU).
Try disabling everything, and see how it runs.

I had to install the NFORCE2 IDE drivers and get rid of Symantec Anti-virus in order to remove the stuttering on my system.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Sage Expert

I think I'm going to run the default SVT for a few days (ugh). If it works fine, then I doubt it is an IRQ or system issue. More likely some type of software conflict.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

Did we ever get a solution for the black screen when starting SageTV with 6.20a?
Closed Thread