SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xred
I was running Sage as a service in the background. The importer can import data while Sage is running (like it does nightly for me), but it can't shift the hour while running like the native Sage EPG can.
I don't see any reasons for this to happen.

well I've not tried myself to purposedly change my time settings , but at least every DST change has worked in SageTV so...

That said really nothing happen when the DST is changing the Importer before and after the DST change submits the same data, as the hour shift is based on the date of the show not on the date of the import : that's why in SageTV when you view the program guide the airing time of the show should be correct for the next week even when if DST will change then. Beyond TV does not : you will see show begin early late, and this will fix when the DST change, but this is a BTV issue.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:54 PM

Hey, I can't seem to get this to work. I guess, its more my SageTV that I can't really get to work.

First of all, I do not have an epg.xml file in my SageTV folder. I don't have one anywhere that I have looked on my pc.

I couldn't get SageTV to properly configure XMLTV guide. Any zipcode I type in says 'cannot connect'. It doesn't seem SageTV even tries to really connect. That's why I am trying to get this XMLTV importer to work.

My SageTV always has trouble updating the guide, it seems to be able to get the guide once for 2 weeks worth of programming, then after that fails to do so, so I have to find another work-around. Hopefully this is my end-all solution.

Thanks in advance.

Dustin
Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Sage Icon

Hello Dustin,
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdwig
First of all, I do not have an epg.xml file in my SageTV folder. I don't have one anywhere that I have looked on my pc
The "epg.xml" is just a placeholder name. You are supposed to download an XMLTV file first (it can be named epg.xml or tvguide.xml etc...). You'll download an XMLTV file by using an XMLTV grabber, on my how to guide you'll find links to download a XMLTV grabber.

After downloading the XMLTV grabber (this is a zip file), review the documentation for it (in the doc/man folder where you have extracted the zip file), especially the tv_grab_na_dd.txt file, it explains all you need to know to set up the grabber.

Basically the grabber is a command line utility, you'll need to launch it in a command prompt like this :

xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --configure (for the first time)

and to download data each week, something like this

xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --days 7 --output epg.xml (then you have your epg.xml file, saved where the xmltv.exe is located)

The last command line is what you can put in my XMLTV Importer for grabber executable (xmltv.exe) and arguments (tv_grab_na_dd --days 7 --output epg.xml)

Once you have your XMLTV file, the Importer setup should be easy enough (don't forget to shut down SageTV completely when you set up the XMLTV Importer)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up It just works

Hey Stephane,

Just a quick post to say Hi and thanks for porting your importer to SAGE. It works just as painlessly as it did in BTV.

I can't believe that I didn't start using SAGE years ago. It even records to multipe drives without having to manually switch them . They couldn't drag me back now even if they introduced DVB support tomorrow.

Mick.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Sage Icon

Hello Mick,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp
Just a quick post to say Hi and thanks for porting your importer to SAGE. It works just as painlessly as it did in BTV.
Thanks, and welcome to SageTV

Also take a look at SageMC and Nielm Web Server plugin to complete your SageTV setup.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Sage User

Hi.

I've downloaded you program to try it out, as i look to buy Sagetv and this also. I read through this entire thread, and searched the forum. But I still can't find out why I cant get this to work...

The programs installs fine, XMLTV runs fine, and XMLTV Importer changes the files fine too. My sagetv file reads;

epg/epg_import_plugin=xmltv.XMLTVImportPlugin

which should be right too.

After following you steps i found in this forum;

"Also verify that when you set up your video source you are choosing the correct option :

* Use Tuner on Capture Card to tune Antenna/Broadcast
* Use US, Canada or XMLTV Guide Data with this Source
* Local Broadcast (Over-The-Air)
* Pick your XMLTV Lineup
* Wait until SageTV loads channels and guide data
* Verify in the list that all channels does have the right number

Regards,
Stéphane."

My XMLTV Lineup doesn't show up!

What can i do ?

Regards.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by real_per
My sagetv file reads : epg/epg_import_plugin=xmltv.XMLTVImportPlugin
Even though the property is in the file, it could have been added while SageTV was running and as such, SageTV doesn't acknowledge the change. So shut down SageTV (UI and Service) and verify that this properties is still in the SageTV.properties files and restart SageTV.

Quote:
My XMLTV Lineup doesn't show up!
You'll have to check the xmltv.log file that is created in the C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV directory to see if there is any errors.

But usually, when the lineups doesn't show up, this is because:

* either Java 1.5 is not installed
* either your lineups are empty, so check that you correctly edited your channels in the XMLTV Importer channel editor : first you create your lineup through the "lineup" tabs, then on the "channels" tab you give a name / call-sign / channel number (used to tune the channel) to your channels and choose the lineup to put the channel on.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM
* either Java 1.5 is not installed
Regards,
Stéphane.
Java was only 1.4.
Working fine now. Sorry to waste your time with such a stupid question...

Another question though;

I have a script that takes epg data from 5 different sites in my country, and outputs a merged .xml file, with showid's. It uses Perl and Python, and i thought it was the same standard as XMLTV.

But XMLTV Import Tool says "NO TV Data found", when i load it...
Can files not generated with XMLTV be used ?

File attached.

Example;

<?xml version="1.0" ?><!DOCTYPE tv SYSTEM 'xmltv.dtd'><tv generator-info-name="XMLTV" generator-info-url="http://membled.com/work/apps/xmltv/">
<channel id="eurosport"><display-name>Eurosport</display-name><icon src="http://www.tv-guiden.dk/Billeder/Stationslogoer/Medium/m_eurospor.gif"/></channel>
<programme channel="eurosport" start="20061218001500 +0000" stop="20061218010000 +0000">
<title lang="da">Skiskydning</title>
<category lang="da">Sport</category>
<title>Skidskytte</title><sub-title>Världscupen</sub-title><video>
<present>yes</present>
<colour>yes</colour>
<aspect>4:3</aspect>
</video><sub-title lang="da">World Cup - stafet (k)</sub-title><desc lang="da">Fra Hochfilzen, Østrig.</desc></programme>
<programme channel="eurosport" start="20061218010000 +0000" stop="20061218013000 +0000">
<title lang="da">Winterpark Weekend</title>
<previously-shown/><title>Vintersport</title><sub-title>Winterpark Weekend</sub-title><video>
<present>yes</present>
<colour>yes</colour>
</video><desc lang="da">Winterpark Weekend giver et samlet overblik over World Cup-stævnerne og mesterskaberne i de forskellige vinterdiscipliner. Vi får alle resultaterne fra weekendens begivenheder, samt interviews og reportager.</desc></programme>
<programme channel="eurosport" start="20061218083000 +0000" stop="20061218093000 +0000">
<title lang="da">Curling</title>
<previously-shown/><title>Curling</title><sub-title>EM i Basel, Schweiz</sub-title><video>
<present>yes</present>
<colour>yes</colour>
</video><sub-title lang="da">EM - finale (m)</sub-title><desc lang="da">Fra Basel, Schweiz.</desc></programme>
Attached Files
File Type: zip Merged xml.zip (337.2 KB, 10348 views)
Old 12-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_per
But XMLTV Import Tool says "NO TV Data found", when i load it...
Can files not generated with XMLTV be used ?
This error message doesn't exists, so I can't tell you what is wrong with this XMLTV file on your setup. That said, the Importer will accept any XMLTV compliant data.

In your case, you may not have the xmltv.dtd file in the same directory as your XMLTV file : either put the file in the same directory or delete the doctype declaration in your XMLTV file (if the doctype declaration is present the Importer will need to load it to verify that the XML is compliant to the doctype).

File attached.

Otherwise, I can load the file you posted here without problems.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Sage User

Question: If I have two tuners with same channels on them, should I see the channels twice in EPG? I guess not, but...

I've now two tuners in my system (PVR150 and new DVB-C tuner) and I've managed to create two different lineups plus bunch of additional channels with same ID's and "same as" -settings. Now everything seems to work pretty nice; Sage knows that some channels are non-tuner specific and can use either tuner when recording show. Only problem is that I see these additional, non-tuner specific channels as double in EPG and I just hate that. Tell me it is not supposed to be like this and there is a cure...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwood
Question: If I have two tuners with same channels on them, should I see the channels twice in EPG?
No you shouldn't (but if you want it that way you can ).

Quote:
I've now two tuners in my system (PVR150 and new DVB-C tuner) and I've managed to create two different lineups plus bunch of additional channels with same ID's and "same as" -settings. .../... Only problem is that I see these additional, non-tuner specific channels as double in EPG and I just hate that. Tell me it is not supposed to be like this and there is a cure...
If you are using the same XMLTV ID for the additional channels, clearly you shouldn't see duplicates in the guide (I do use them myself).

So I would verify first that in the channel editor of the XMLTV Importer you do not have duplicate channels. For instance the "Channel A" is to be found on the PVR150 (with number 10) and the DVB-C tune (with number 35). This channel is in the XMLTV file with channel.a.xmltv ID.

Now in the editor you should have:

* two lineups : PVR150 Lineup (1) and DVBC Lineup (2)
* channel.a.xmltv is listed in the "main" channels list, here you'll associate it to one of the lineup, let's say we use the lineup n°1 (PVR150) and you give it channel number 10.
* then you add a duplicate channel in the "additional channels" tab. Create a channel with channel.a.xmltv as the ID and associate it with lineup n°2 and give it channel number 35 and choose the original chanenl is the "same as" drop down list.

If you do it this way : you really have two channels and they should be consolidated in the EPG.

Now SageTV doesn't forget channels easily, so you may have some "left over" channels in the EPG. You have two solutions:

* hide the channels you don't need in the source setup
* remove completely the lineups from the sage.properties file. Shutdown SageTV completely and remove the epg/channel_lineups/xx= lines (and eventually the epg/lineup_overrides) and re-do the source setup.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Sage User

Many thanks for very detailed information, it really helps me a lot!

It looks like I've done channel listings basically right, but I'll check my setting again.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Why doesn't the time change for the shows in the wizard when the "adjust for daylight savings time box is checked?"

Also, it doesn't seem to be adjust the time properly in the guide either, as all shows are off by one hour, despite using what I would assume would be the proper time setting for my time zone (8 for PDT)

Last edited by grooves12; 12-28-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12
Why doesn't the time change for the shows in the wizard when the "adjust for daylight savings time box is checked?"
The time only change if your time zone is currently in "Daylight saving time"... So for instance in France we are not in DST (summer time) but in non DST (winter time) so checking the box doesn't produce any effect. However, if the check is on, the Importer will now it should apply correction when you will switch to DST.

Quote:
Also, it doesn't seem to be adjust the time properly in the guide either, as all shows are off by one hour, despite using what I would assume would be the proper time setting for my time zone (8 for PDT)
You need to take a look directly at the XMLTV file to verify what time zone it uses, if they use something like : 200701022050 +0800 and in January you are not in DST then put "-8" in the "Time offset" field.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:20 AM

Hi,

I have tried using the Importer with SageTV v6 without success. All the non-Sage elements work, importing the xml file into the 3rdPartGuideData directory.

It seems to be struggling with the Sage elements. The install tool does not appear to update sage.properties. If I manually edit sage.properties to change the line to
epg/epg_import_plugin=xmltv.XMLTVImportPlugin
then the lineup does not appear under `Local Broadcast (Over-The-Air)` (as expected, nothing appears there).

Have you tested yet with v6? I am reluctant to switch back to v5. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

This is working fine in V5 and V6.

When you install make sure you shut down SageTv and Sage Tv service if you are using it. If Sage is sleeping or Service is still on any edit in the properties file will nont work.

Technazz
Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Sage Icon

Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggs
The install tool does not appear to update sage.properties.
As technazz said, the Importer is working with SageTV v5 or v6 fine (you have to have Java 1.5 or newer though).

As the sage.properties file is not updated, make sure that :

* you shutdown SageTV completely when you setup the Importer (you can safely install / uninstall it)
* you specified the right path to SageTV (usuall C:\Program Files\SageTV) during setup. (Setup should : create a "sagetv\xmltv" directory in SageTV install directory, create a "sagetv\3rdPartyGuideData" directory, and create a xmltv.properties file as well as modifying the sage.properties file)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:48 PM

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.

Per Stephane's suggestion, I uninstalled and re-installed and everything is working ok.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Pop Up

Im getting a problem when the importer is running it pops up on my screen and doesnt clear. Is there a setting to run in the background or hidden?

Thanks

Technazz
Old 01-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Sage Icon

Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz
Im getting a problem when the importer is running it pops up on my screen and doesnt clear. Is there a setting to run in the background or hidden?
You probably have not installed the donator version. The non donator version doesn't have the unattended mode and as such when you schedule it (in the Import Wizard) the Importer just load and do nothing. On the other hand the donator version when scheduled runs in the taskbar notification area.

Regards,
Stéphane.