SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to iceman Send a message via Yahoo to iceman
Media Extender Aspect Ratio Issue?

I just installed Beta 4.1.10 upgrading from 4.1.9. After upgrading I went down to my family room where my Media Extender is located and starting watching live TV. (OTA Analog) I noticed that the top and bottom of the display were being cropped off by about 3/4 of an inch. The programs I tried watching were a 4:3 aspect ratio (standard OTA analog display). I can't swear to it but I almost positive that this problem did not exist on 4.1.9 beta. I should mention that the picture is in fact being cropped (cut) off on the top and bottom and not just being reformatted to a different aspect ratio. Has anyone seen this problem?

Tell me I'm not going crazy please !!!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Sage User

So has anyone seen the problem I seem to have. I would really like to reinstall 4.1.9 but I don't think my wife would be happy.

HELP!!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Sage

This is the first I've heard of this problem. I'd try a reinstall if I were you. (or just upgrade to 4.1.10)
Old 03-26-2006, 03:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Iceman

I’ve seen this problem before. I have another problem with my mvp picture being of center, so with an early version of the 4.1 I loaded the .stv file instead of the .xml to be able to test the aspect ratio functionality. As you know this function is disabled on the mvp GUI (for a good reason!) but if you load the stv file you can mess up the picture to get a result as you describe.

Therefore try a reinstallation or alternatively try the following:

1. unplug the mvp,
2. close Sage
3. delete the mvp property file.
4. turn on Sage and plug in the mvp.

This will force Sage to create new property file for the mvp.

rtengvad
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up

Rtengvad you hit the nail on the head as far as this problem goes. Here's what I did to correct the screen from being cropped off:

1) unplugged the MVP
2) stopped SageTV service on my server
3) renamed my MVP client's properties files to *.OLD in the "CLIENTS" directory.
4) Started SagetV Service again
5) Plugged in the MVP and after it booted up I loaded the SAGETV3.STV instead of the .XML file.
6) I then watched live TV and lo and behold the 4:3 apect ratio looked good again. The cropping was gone.

At this point I edited the MVP client property file (the one just created when I loaded the SageTV3.STV. I noticed that the statement "videoframe/aspect_ratio_mode=1" was included in this property file and not in the property file that I renamed to "*.OLD (My original one). I then loaded the original .XML I had loaded and the 4:3 cropping occured again. At this point I shutdown the SageTV service and inserted the "videoframe/aspect_ratio_mode=1" into my originlal MVP client property. I restarted the service and then went to my MVP after it rebooted and watched live TV again. Sure enough the 4:3 aspect ratio was back to normal and the cropping was gone.

Can someone tell me two things:

1) What does videoframe/aspect_ratio_mode=1 do (It's not in the manual)
2) Is there one place that documents all of the possible parameters for the properties files for the SageTV Service, Client and MVP Extender. I can never seem to find parameters I run across in the forums here.

Well anyway Thanks so much for your help and Jeff thanks for all of your hard work along with the rest of the SageTV community. I love your product and all of it's possibilities !

Old 04-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Could anyone enlighten us on this? I'd also like to know the purpose of these settings:

videoframe/aspect_ratio_mode/x/video_translate_x=0
videoframe/aspect_ratio_mode/x/video_translate_y=0
videoframe/aspect_ratio_mode/x/video_zoom_x=1.0
videoframe/aspect_ratio_mode/x/video_zoom_y=1.0

Would tweaking these involve using the transcoder?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

I would like an official response on this one---I have already submitted bug reports but and contacted support but haven't gotten a solution yet---my video is only cropped when transcoding vobs. seems like the left and right sides are getting cropped off by at least 2 inches or so....maybe these properties can help?
thanks
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 05-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Sage

Go ahead and submit another bug report. There isn't an active one for this issue currently.