SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer9
To clarify, I assume you mean more than installing SageMC and NOT running it in service mode, right? I tried that, but for some reason couldn't get it to see my recording dirs on the real Sage machine - seems like it's using it's own local DB rather than accessing the main SageMC machine's DB. Also, I would still want this machine to be a network encoder, and I wasn't sure how to get the other SageMC to recognize this SageMC installation as a network encoder too, as opposed to the instance of SageRecorder I was running there...

-Mike
Hmm looks like they edited this out of the sage manual... oh well. it is working for me still.

First you have to install a full version of sagetv. Need full license as well, not client license.

The manual in appendix d talks about command line parameters in general.

Add the parameter -client to the shortcut that is created on the desktop for the full sagetv.

so.. right click on the short cut, select propertieswhat looks like this
"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe"

change to this

"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe" -client

I think... I am at work, I will reverify when I get home and see how I did it.

I learned this from a post from opus, thanks opus!

Side note, this allows you to connect your full sage as a client across a home network, but if copy and edit the copy of the shortcut instead of the original, then you can choose which way to go. you can run it as a client on your network, or run it as a full sage alone, not on the network.

If moving placeshifting over works, let me know!
Old 02-28-2006, 02:48 PM
SageTVaholic

4.1.8 Beta is working very nicely for me. Just a few issues

- Placeshifter window resizing is wierd, it would be nice to have some default sizes like Sage has.

- Placeshifter doens't maintain aspect ratios of non 4:3 shows. All of my 16:9 xvids and HDTV recordings are filling the window.

Aside from that i'm really impressed with how seemlessly it works even at this early stage. Great work SageTV
Old 02-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebuilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer9
To clarify, I assume you mean more than installing SageMC and NOT running it in service mode, right? I tried that, but for some reason couldn't get it to see my recording dirs on the real Sage machine - seems like it's using it's own local DB rather than accessing the main SageMC machine's DB. Also, I would still want this machine to be a network encoder, and I wasn't sure how to get the other SageMC to recognize this SageMC installation as a network encoder too, as opposed to the instance of SageRecorder I was running there...
Hmm looks like they edited this out of the sage manual... oh well. it is working for me still.
Actually, it has never been covered in the manual yet. The '-client' parameter was mentioned above, but the rest of the network encoder setup info was mentioned here.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Sage User

Send a message via MSN to pmoreau
Wow!

I've been using SageTV for nearly 2 years. I got a Media Extender for xmas and have been considering a SlingBox for Place Shifting. Now 4.1.8 has Place
Shifting, this is great! I just hope a Linux Placeshifter client comes out soon. I know about the java Miniclient and it works with Linux for just menus but I
want to watch my TV from work during lunch and I use Linux exclusively here.
I tried it on a co-workers XP box it the quality surprised me. My upload DSL
speed at home is 380 - 512K/bs. I also have a couple notebooks at home that
Run Windows and tried the SageTV Client but it refused to work using the wireless 802.11g but worked fine wired. Now that Place Shifting is out, my
notebooks have a new use.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Well, first glance at 4.1.8 looks good. placeshifrting works for Java 1.4 but I'm having problems with imports of .mpg files. Sageservice goes to max CPU trying to scan an .mpg file. The same files have been acceptable to Sage from V2 all the way up to 4.1.7.

Rolled back to 4.1.7 and it works just fine. Upgrade to 4.1.8, even DL'ed a new copy, and it'll hang. check the logs and it stopped scanning on an .mpg file. SO, I'm back to 4.1.7 for now.
Sage let me know that this has been fixed for the next release
Old 02-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Sage Expert

Any chance that we get a PlaceShifter version for Linux and OS X that shows Menu and Video
Old 03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Sage Icon

What would stop the Placeshifter from working? I have it installed on my laptop, currently away from home. Tuesday it was working. Today it doesn't, same location, same routers at both ends. I checked the server and the Locator Id had changed, so I put the new Locator Id in. Locates the server okay, even shows a connect time in the Server Manager, but I only get as far as the "Wait..." window which then closes.

Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool

Hi All,
I am getting exact same thing--placeshifter worked great last week (from work) and the last couple of days it starts to load, the Sage screen comes on for a second and goes off. I checked my firewall and router settings and the connection # in Advanced settings.
Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 03-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up Got It Working...

Uninstalled Java update on work pc--just have java 1.4.02 and it works. Last week I put java update on Both pc's but later removed it from home and went back to 1.4 there (was really worried about having problems with new java as many have said here).
Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 03-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelrandolph
Uninstalled Java update on work pc--just have java 1.4.02 and it works.
Actually, I haven't changed Java at all on the client, but have backed out a Java update on the server. So perhaps it's because the Java versions don't match. Time for a test!

Yup, looks like the Java versions have to match - that's a bit poor. I was getting crashes on the server with Java 1.5, has calmed down now I'm back to 1.4.2.

Last edited by rickgillyon; 03-02-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

what's my best upgrade option

Hey guys.

I have to admit I've had sage stable for so long I've been wary to upgrade, however the time has come. I'm currently on 3.014 and I want to move up to 4.1.8B. Should I just install overtop creating a backup of my wiz.bin or should I uninstall and start from scratch?

thx
Old 03-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

I always make a complete backup copy of the current install directory tree (overkill, but then I won't forget extras like the channel logo files), then install over the current install dir, making sure to select that location in the installer.

If there is a major problem, this allows you to uninstall the latest version, install your previous version, then copy the backup dir back into place.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Sage Icon

Backup your whole SageTV folder, then install over the top. It's not that big, and with a full backup you can get back to where you were. If you find the new setup unstable you can uninstall and reinstall from scratch, and you still have your backup just in case.

If you do uninstall and delete everything, remember to put back your sage.properties (+client if appropriate), wiz.bin, remote control files (under common), and any webserver config if you use it. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

thanks guys. Any problem bringing back over my wiz.bin into the newer version of sage?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Administrator

It will use it automatically if you install on top of the existing version.

- Andy
Old 03-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Sage Icon

Just had an odd crash, all my clients stopped at the same time. Checked the server, and sure enough sage service had crashed. Said it was a problem with mpeg demuxer. I don't think I had logging turned on, but if it happens again I'll definitely turn it on . That's the first time in at least 6 months or so the server has been down that wasn't power related.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Sage Icon

Ok, now tonight I have another problem. Looks like Sage is recording Battelstar Galactica, and 2 of the same episode of Numbers (both on analog). Trying to playback the Battlestar, and its playing in slow motion, numbers is playing fine. I brought up the Battlestar on another PC (not a client), and it works fine there??
Old 03-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude90210
Dynamic streaming is definitely improved, doesn't seem to be stuttering like before. ...

2. If I quit the app while a video is playing, the last played sound will loop until I kill the process of mplayer. One time I had to reboot the computer to get it to stop. Obviously, for now, I just have to make sure to stop the video before quiting.
Has anyone else noticed this. I have tried placeshifting from two differnet locations: one in the US and one in the Virgin Islands. Both resulted in last sound loop repeating ad nauseum. One needed only to stop the mplayer process, the other required a reboot. Does this need a bug fix report?
Old 03-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwaugh
Has anyone else noticed this. I have tried placeshifting from two differnet locations: one in the US and one in the Virgin Islands. Both resulted in last sound loop repeating ad nauseum. One needed only to stop the mplayer process, the other required a reboot. Does this need a bug fix report?
It is already reported and Sage tould me that it will be fixed in the next build.

Anders
Old 03-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Error upon connecting

I think this may have been mentioned before, but I have finally been able to connect to my server from the internet, but it fails once the connection is established:

Code:
Sat 3/4 11:31:44.003 Connection accepted by server
Sat 3/4 11:31:44.003 Connected to media server
Sat 3/4 11:31:44.664 Connection accepted by server
Sat 3/4 11:31:44.664 Connected to gfx server
Sat 3/4 11:31:47.278 GetProperty: GFX_TEXTMODE
Sat 3/4 11:31:47.398 GetProperty: GFX_BLENDMODE
Sat 3/4 11:31:47.518 GetProperty: GFX_DRAWMODE
Sat 3/4 11:31:47.649 GetProperty: GFX_BITMAP_FORMAT
Sat 3/4 11:31:47.769 GetProperty: GFX_SUPPORTED_ASPECTS
Sat 3/4 11:31:47.889 GetProperty: GFX_ASPECT
Sat 3/4 11:31:48.019 GetProperty: GFX_SUPPORTED_RESOLUTIONS
Sat 3/4 11:31:48.139 GetProperty: GFX_RESOLUTION
Sat 3/4 11:31:48.259 GetProperty: GFX_COMPOSITE
Sat 3/4 11:31:48.380 GetProperty: GFX_COLORKEY
Sat 3/4 11:31:48.510 GetProperty: INPUT_DEVICES
Sat 3/4 11:31:48.630 GetProperty: DISPLAY_OVERSCAN
Sat 3/4 11:31:48.750 GetProperty: VIDEO_CODECS
Sat 3/4 11:31:48.880 GetProperty: AUDIO_CODECS
Sat 3/4 11:31:49.001 GetProperty: PULL_AV_CONTAINERS
Sat 3/4 11:31:49.131 GetProperty: PUSH_AV_CONTAINERS
Sat 3/4 11:31:49.251 GetProperty: FIXED_PUSH_MEDIA_FORMAT
Sat 3/4 11:31:49.381 GetProperty: CRYPTO_ALGORITHMS
Sat 3/4 11:31:50.523 SetProperty CRYPTO_PUBLIC_KEY
Sat 3/4 11:31:50.643 GetProperty: CRYPTO_SYMMETRIC_KEY
Sat 3/4 11:31:50.893 Error w/ GFX Thread: java.io.EOFException
java.io.EOFException
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(Unknown Source)
        at sage.miniclient.MiniClientConnection.GFXThread(MiniClientConnection.java:224)
        at sage.miniclient.MiniClientConnection.access$100(MiniClientConnection.java:6)
        at sage.miniclient.MiniClientConnection$4.run(MiniClientConnection.java:180)
Sat 3/4 11:31:50.903 Error w/ Media Thread: java.net.SocketException: socket closed
java.net.SocketException: socket closed
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at sage.miniclient.MiniClientConnection.MediaThread(MiniClientConnection.java:678)
        at sage.miniclient.MiniClientConnection.access$000(MiniClientConnection.java:6)
        at sage.miniclient.MiniClientConnection$3.run(MiniClientConnection.java:171)
Exception in thread "Media-home.tuckman.us" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at sage.miniclient.MediaCmd.close(MediaCmd.java:92)
        at sage.miniclient.MiniClientConnection.MediaThread(MiniClientConnection.java:713)
        at sage.miniclient.MiniClientConnection.access$000(MiniClientConnection.java:6)
        at sage.miniclient.MiniClientConnection$3.run(MiniClientConnection.java:171)
Sat 3/4 11:31:51.104 Connection error 0, exiting
Is this related to the Java version issue?

Thanks!!!