SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
Ive been trying to use this plugin and it works for the most part, but several shows such as the news show up with blank titles. The titles are in the xml file itself and it shows up as found in the log file for the plugin but it doesnt show up in the program guide and it cant be searched for
I have a very similar problem. The importer works in sage 7.1.9, but with sage 9, the EPG shows blank titles for everything. This is the only reason I cant move to sage9. I have not tested it with 9.1 yet though. The v9 I've tested on is an upgraded v7.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

That would make sense.. It still works perfectly for me, sadly I still haven't upgraded my main family rig to V9 yet. I will attempt to have a look at why this is the case and see if I can sort it..

Self interest is a great motivator..

Cheers

Peter
Old 10-21-2017, 02:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Will using XMLTV for epg work in north america ? specifically Canada?
Old 12-31-2017, 02:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Any update on this? I've run into this issue too in testing a v9 upgrade.

Those recommending switching to a different importer, will all importers generate the same show IDs etc (ie can we switch them seamlessly provided guide data source is the same) or will it be likely to cause existing series to be considered different from new episodes??
Old 12-31-2017, 07:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Funny you should ask.. I have been working on my own V9 upgrade as part of a post Xmas project ( Whilst trying to stay out of the Garden during the hottest parts of the day )..

I don't seem to be able to nail down the exact root cause.. My current thinking is that the issue is not with the plugin itself, but rather with how V9 processes and stores the EPG data ( or subsequently represents it int the Guide ) .. The plugin is doing what it has always done and is parsing and processing the xmltv streams correctly.. I've verified identical behaviour with a couple of different xmltv importers.. I did have to repackage the plugin into a jar due to class-loading changes made in V9 - I've also included the latest interface definitions from the Git repository for EPGImportPlugin and EPGImportPlugin into the build ( although none of the interfaces or parameters appear to have changed )

Just to confirm what I'm working to.. In my case the data for various shows does in fact get loaded into the EPG, but the EPG in some cases does not show a Title for a show ( but shows all the other details ). For example, the title for the "Hopman Cup Tennis 2018" is not displayed in the EPG, but the scheduled time, first run, category, description, duration and classification are present.

If other people are seeing any other behaviour let me know..

Cheers

Peter
Old 12-31-2017, 08:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjb View Post
Funny you should ask.. I have been working on my own V9 upgrade as part of a post Xmas project ( Whilst trying to stay out of the Garden during the hottest parts of the day )..
Oh to have such a problem! Here in Toronto it is currently -13C. In this part of Canada many of the New Year's Eve celebrations have been cancelled due to the extreme cold.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yep obviously another aussie (like me) You guys in Canada are having a brutal winter this year by the sound of it. Can't believe they had to cancel new years celebrations.

I still see the year added onto the (blank) title so it's still being passed in to Sage. I started looking at the code and figured it's probably something to do with the rerun title and logic around that as that's the only place I can see where the title can get nulled out within the plugin. While searching around about the rerun I came across this:

https://github.com/yafraorg/xmltvplugin
referred to here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63249

Looks like he's done all the hard work for us. Comparing his code to Demideus' original it looks to have changed in the right areas, though judging by the comments I'm not sure he fully got to the bottom of why either. I compiled it anyway and gave it a try and bingo - seems to be working fine for me!

I've attached the compiled version to save others the trouble of building from source. I just replaced the class files in the xmltv folder with those in this zip. I noticed in another thread (https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64204) though the author was talking about switching to jar files so ymmv
Attached Files
File Type: zip xmltv.zip (26.1 KB, 298 views)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yep.. Definitely another Aussie.. Although I have done my time living in places where it's been between -22C & -44C - so I have great sympathy for our Canadian cousins current predicament..

As it happens I'd been on exactly the same journey last evening.. Should have read your post first.. I had isolated the problem to being when shows with similar names on the same channel or similar time slot went skew-if.. So if ABC News and ABC News at Noon or ' Tennis : Hopman Cup" or "Tennis: Brisbane International" were occurring on the same day.. I tried to work out what the changes were in the SageTv EPG side that caused it - but a bit like mwnswiss - I couldn't get to the bottom of it.. His code changes on the plugin side appear to address the issue - which is the main thing at this point..

So all in all this appears to resolve my EPG issues on V9.1.7.581 on my Linux test rig. Here is the jar file I built of the current version in the GIT repository.. Just unzip it ( had to do that to post it as an attachment )Just drop it in the JARs directory in your server install location and xmltv.properties in the usual location.

All credit to mwnswiss - I'd suggest that current users of this plugin all might like to look to test and migrate move to his version of the xmltv plugin ( https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63249 ).. I intend to do so for both my V7 & V9 rigs..

Cheers

Peter
Attached Files
File Type: zip xmltvplugin-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar.zip (39.8 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by peterjb; 01-01-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7g View Post
Will using XMLTV for epg work in north america ? specifically Canada?
Apologies for the delay.. Yes is the answer to your question.. If you can get a valid and good quality xmltv feed for Canada and configure the xmltv.properties appropriately..

Cheers

Peter
Old 01-01-2018, 10:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

is there a difference between the jar file and the one that comes in its own folder?
Old 01-02-2018, 03:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
is there a difference between the jar file and the one that comes in its own folder?
I don't think so.. They were both built from the latest version in the Git repository by the gradle build provided.. The classes are from one location in the build output directory and the jar in another..

I couldn't get the java classes to load on V9.1.7.581 from the xmltv directory as the installation directory for SageTV has been removed from the classpath.. This is a known change and the suggestion from Stuckless was to either package it as a plugin or place a jar file in the JARs directory.. As I have no idea on how to build a plugin and i wanted to solve my immediate problem I went the jar route..

Cheers

Peter
Old 01-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Excellent work! Thank you guys. I can finally move to v9 and my EPG still looks fine
Old 03-13-2018, 06:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

is the date tag not being used anymore?
I have the date tag in my epg file, but none of my recording have original air dates
Old 08-03-2020, 01:54 AM
Sage User

I'm setting up a SageTV server on Ubuntu Linux. This is in Australia using DVB-T tuners. When set up in Widows, the EPG data is automatically created from the Over The Air data but that doesn't seem to happen with Linux. I've therefore turned to XMLTV. I have a grabber functioning and creating an XMLTV file with all the program data. I have unzipped Dedimus's XMLTVImportyPlugin in the /opt/sagetv/server and it has created the xmltv sub directory with the four classes. I have also created an xmltv.properties file in the server directory and included the path to the .xml file created by the grabber.

Finally, I have changed the Sage.properties file epg/epg_import_plugin=xmltv.XMLTVImportPlugin.

However, whenever I try to set up a Video Source to use XMLTV it keeps trying to use the now defunct Sage EPG and wipes this value out.

Can anyone suggest what I have missed.

ian
Old 08-03-2020, 05:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanV View Post
I'm setting up a SageTV server on Ubuntu Linux. This is in Australia using DVB-T tuners. When set up in Widows, the EPG data is automatically created from the Over The Air data but that doesn't seem to happen with Linux. I've therefore turned to XMLTV. I have a grabber functioning and creating an XMLTV file with all the program data. I have unzipped Dedimus's XMLTVImportyPlugin in the /opt/sagetv/server and it has created the xmltv sub directory with the four classes. I have also created an xmltv.properties file in the server directory and included the path to the .xml file created by the grabber.

Finally, I have changed the Sage.properties file epg/epg_import_plugin=xmltv.XMLTVImportPlugin.

However, whenever I try to set up a Video Source to use XMLTV it keeps trying to use the now defunct Sage EPG and wipes this value out.

Can anyone suggest what I have missed.

ian
Did you make sure that SageTV server was not running when you were editing the file?

Josh
Old 08-05-2020, 06:33 AM
Sage User

Hi PeterJB,
Like you I'm an Aussie, too. Thanks for the JAR file, I was having problems creating it myself (total Linux newbie). I'm using Ubuntu and have the XMLTVImportPlugin installed and showing when I look at the lineup. I have put JAR in /opt/sagetv/server/JAR and the other files in /opt/sagetv/server. I'm using icetv to create the epgdata.xml file which is in that same directory. But no lineup data showing.

I've attached a zip file with the epgdata.xml, adapter0-DVB-T.frq & lineup1.properties files. If you've got the time, I'd be grateful if you could have a quick look to see if there's anything obviously wrong with them.

Thanks,
ian
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV.zip (662.3 KB, 214 views)
Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

@IanV
I set up XMLTV on a SageTV instance about 6 months ago and got it working. Here are a few notes I took at the time which I hope help.

I do NOT have the XMLTVImportPlugin loaded. I think if you put the jar in the ../sagetv/JARs folder you do not need / want the plugin. I wonder if it is contributing to the problem.

To clarify, I got the jar from https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16826&d=1514843328

Putting JARS in folders must be done with Sage shut down.

If the process is running at all, you will have 2 files in your ../sagetv/server folder. They are xmltv.error.log and xmltv.log. They should give you a clue as to the health of the setup. Your xmltv.properties file will also be in the same folder.

Beyond that, I remember having trouble getting the XML-sourced lineup configured in V9 and it took me a couple of tries to get that working. However it sounds like you have already figured that out.

You have a file named lineup1.properties. Mine is named xmltv.properties, but I forget why. I forget if I configured that somewhere or if I found that it needed to be named that. The first four lines of my file contain the following:
configurations=xmltv.properties
provider.name=EGELLERTV
provider.id=1
xmltv.files=epgdata.xml

After the first four lines I have a bunch of boring stuff defining the particular source of data, translation of categories to SageTV Genres, and the like.

Good luck. That's all I have at the moment.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA