SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Australia/New Zealand
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Australia/New Zealand SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the Land Down Under - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Australia and New Zealand.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

DVB-S .frq file

Can somebody please post their DVB-S .frq file (Hauppauge WinTV 88x TS Capture-0-DVB-S.frq). Mine got blown away (don't ask how) when I upgraded to 6.5 and no amount of scaning captures the Freeview channels I only get the Sky channels.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Sage Icon

You normally get that symptom when you don't have the LNB frequency set correctly in the DVB-S Provider setup for the video source.

for a sky dual throat LNB
LOF1: 10750
LOF2: 10750
LOF SW: 10750
TOS1: None
TOS2: None

for a single throat LNB
LOF1: 11300
LOF2: 11300
LOF SW: 11300
TOS1: None
TOS2: None

John
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

John

I have recently changed from a single to double throat LNB when Sky kindly replaced my rusty old dish. However the .lnb file was updated at the time to be:

LNB=10750000-10750000-0
sat_no=0

And it was working fine until the upgrade the other day.

I know you are running an HVR 4000, although that shouldn't make any difference to the content of the .frq file. Can you please post your .frq for DVB-S so I can use it. Apart from the filename, which is based on the card being used and the channel mapping, the .frq file for DVB-S Freeview in NZ should be the same for everybody.

Pete
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Sage Icon

Pete,

Here is my modified frq file, but it's not going to be any use if your LNB file is not correct. The symptom you have is the same as you get with an incorrect LNB frequency.

The LNB file format has changed a couple of times and it looks like you are using the old format, which is incorrect for current versions of SageTV.

It's best to set it via the DVB-S Provider setup for the video source. Make sure you use Done at the top of that panel to save your settings. It should end up looking like this. Note the change of freq to MHz from KHz

#LNB setup for Hauppauge WinTV 88x TS Capture<DVB-S>
sat_no:0
sat_name:"OPTUS D1 (160.0 E)"
LNB=10750-10750-10750 pos:None opt:None

John
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hauppauge WinTV 88x TS Capture-0-DVB-S.zip (845 Bytes, 319 views)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

John

Sorry to say isn't SageTV just hopeless at times?

Quote:
The LNB file format has changed a couple of times and it looks like you are using the old format, which is incorrect for current versions of SageTV.
When in the upgrade process should the format have changed. It certainly wasn't clear that any proactive action was required by users to change the format.

Quote:
It's best to set it via the DVB-S Provider set-up for the video source. Make sure you use Done at the top of that panel to save your settings. It should end up looking like this. Note the change of freq to MHz from KHz
Again this doesn't work; I've selected DVB-S provider in set-up video source and selected Optus D1 but nowhere am I asked for LNB information and nowhere is there a "Done" at the top of the screen.

So I have removed the source, shutdown SageTV and deleted all the .lnb and .frq files. Restarted SageTV and re-installed the source (still no additional information requested in the set-up). Done the scan and still only the sky channels. Shutdown SageTV and checked the .lnb file, and one wasn't created. I've checked for .lnb files on every drive and there aren't any.

I did create an .lnb file from the info you provided but no change still only getting the Sky channels.

In my search for files I did come across another piece of SageTV stupidity. My setup is on my D:drive and SageTV clearly knows that but it appears it is using wiz.bin and wiz.bak on the C:\ drive but thats another issue that can be fixed in the properties file.

So what is happening where is SageTV getting the .lnb data? This did work because I only got my replacement dish at the end of October and had to change the .lnb file then to be able to get the freeview channels

Pete

Last edited by Doubletop; 01-05-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Sage Icon

Pete, here's the steps and some pictures. Hope it helps. What version of SageTV are you running?

1. "DVB-S Provider" in the Video Source Setup (DVB-S-1.jpg)
2. Select "Optus D1" (DVB-S-2.jpg)
3. Set LOF1: LOF2: and LOFSW: to 10750 (DVB-S-3.jpg)
4. Set TOS1: and TOS2: to None (DVB-S-3.jpg)
5. Close Options panel using "Select this Provider" (DVB-S-3.jpg)
6. Scroll up and click on "Done -1 Provider" (DVB-S-4.jpg)
7. Should have created an lnb file and should work.

The filename that SageTV is looking for also changed during one of the beta cycles. Mine is now Hauppauge-WinTV-88x-TS-Capture-0.lnb. It used to not have the -s in it.

Edit: Also, if you create and empty file called NATIVE_LOG.ENABLE in the SageTV directory then a file called native.log will get created. You can look in there to find out what filename SageTV is looking for.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVB-S-1.JPG (47.0 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg DVB-S-2.JPG (45.4 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg DVB-S-3.JPG (45.2 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg DVB-S-4.JPG (42.3 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by JREkiwi; 01-05-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

John

Thanks; I wasn't getting any of the screens past the first one. The clue was my UI was giving me a radio button, to select the provider, and your example was a check box.

I had been using an old STV; so reset back to the STV3 that came with the release. All is fine now. I am getting the screens and the scan is running and at this point has found 102 channels and not just the 34 Sky channels I was getting. The Freeview channels [47] are in there now as well as a lot of Sky [169]. I'll reload the extensions to the new STV. Its probably not a good idea just re-loading the old one. Maybe SageTV should do some sort of compatibility check tell you not to use an incompatible previous version

Quote:
You normally get that symptom when you don't have the LNB frequency set correctly in the DVB-S Provider set-up for the video source
Heaven knows what was happening after I had deleted the .lnb and .frq files. It was successfully scanning 34 Sky channels without those files when the PredefinedDVBS.frq file only had the 2 Freeview freqs and not the 12 Sky freqs

Anyway thanks again

Pete
Old 01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletop View Post
Heaven knows what was happening after I had deleted the .lnb and .frq files. It was successfully scanning 34 Sky channels without those files when the PredefinedDVBS.frq file only had the 2 Freeview freqs and not the 12 Sky freqs
Pete, glad to hear you are making progress. In most real world situations, you would get no channels scanned without the the correct lnb settings. It's an unfortunate coincidence, that the universal lnb settings that are used by default end up matching some freeview freqs to a Sky mux.

If you use the plugin manager in the current version of SageTV to manage your imports, it does tell you when there is an updated default STV and handles the re-import of you plugins.

John
Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

John

I still had the STV that came with 6.5.5 loaded that and it all worked as advertised. General rule don't use the STV from your last build but use the new one that comes with the package, check the compatibility of other STV's and reload them. I should know this having started with SageTV V2.

A general observation that applies to many users is that, on the whole SageTV is too geeky to be reliably used by Joe public. The content of these forums attest to that. There is now too much information that isn't particularly well structured to be of use to Newbies (and even some of us Oldbies). It just leads to frustration in trying to find stuff that is relevant to any particular problem anybody may have. Maybe the forum isn't the place and well structured entries in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SageTV should be started that contains the details that aren't in the manual. The Wiki looks pretty empty right now.

Thanks for your help once again

Pete