SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

damn - i'm now having problem with viewing HDTV live - i get tons of those "get file size" messages in HDNE log and live tv studders to a standstill. Recorded HDTV works great
Old 04-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
There must be *some* way to get the card to record QAM -- their software can do it. Perhaps a non-BDA IPlugin could theoretically handle the QAM functions using your server, if we can figure out how to control the card, right?
Adding a new plugin is fairly easy - getting the right code for the plugin will be the trick. This is the first I have heard of GAM... If they got it to work, there must be a way.

UPDATE: I was reading the GAM Forums web site - sounds like they were using WDM drivers and adjusting the video inputs properties on them to get QAM tuning. I can look for similar props in the BDA driver or duplicate their WDM filter graph. Question - is Fusion listed as a WDM encoder in Sage currently?

However, it will probably be slowing going to get the Fusion card QAM tuning without having one
Old 04-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio
damn - i'm now having problem with viewing HDTV live - i get tons of those "get file size" messages in HDNE log and live tv studders to a standstill. Recorded HDTV works great
Have you tried the 0.7 version? Sorry its not in the beginning of the thread - I will move it later...

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...6&postcount=27

I kept it from reporting all of the "get file size" messages... It was flooding the UI and log file... Updating the UI that quickly was slapping the CPU around

Last edited by Stealth1971; 04-22-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

I gave 0.7 a whirl last night...

0.7 seems to have fixed the audio processing error. I can use the intervideo codec on all the channels. Not sure if my mysterious missing right-rear channel has come back though.

Switching the fastmux property in the properties file seems to have fixed the channel changing issue.

One thing I've noticed is that usually my CPU usage hovers around 60-70%. But a few times a minute it'll spike to 100% for a second or two. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 04-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Finally I got home from the road and have been able to try HDNE out. I am using 0.7. I still get the "unable to process audio" error on one channel but other than that the program works great. I have on problem related to Sage and not to HDNE that will prevent me from using this. I have an ATI9550 card running in a 2.4 Cel computer(not a powerhouse but no slouch). Basically I have tried several decoders and all of them peg the cpu with only the NVidia decoders getting by with moderate studdering. Using Zoomplayer Cpu usage is much better primarly since I use HDTVPump. For this to be useful to me I need to be able to select a different demuxer than Sage or Frey needs to improve how their program deals with HD files.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

What version of the nvidia decoder did you get to work? Are you sure DxVA is turned on when you tried the other decoders?

You could try overclocking your celeron. Those usually overclock quite well even with stock cooling.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth1971
Have you tried the 0.7 version? Sorry its not in the beginning of the thread - I will move it later...

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...6&postcount=27

I kept it from reporting all of the "get file size" messages... It was flooding the UI and log file... Updating the UI that quickly was slapping the CPU around

USING 0.7, I'm still getting tons of "get file size" messages in the UI and it stilll slows to a crawl.

thanks
Old 04-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

I will try to fix it this afternoon UNE was having this issue also - I believe.

Last edited by Stealth1971; 04-22-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Sage Expert

Stealth1971,

You said it would be slow going without a Fusion card yourself. I'll throw this offer out there....I have one and thought of two solutions to that problem.

1) I give you access to the machine with the Fusion card to do a remote desktop login whenever you like. If you don't require reboots and crashing the machine, this works.
2) I send you my card so you can do development on it. I'd of course like the card back when you are done. Only potential issue, do you have access to clear QAM channels where you are?

Let me know what you think of my proposal. I deperately want a single program that does HD and SD. RIght now, I am using MCE for SD (but I bought Sage a few months ago and switched). I'd switch back to sage in a flash if it worked for both HD and SD. I'd also love to be able to setup recording of HD.

-Brian
Old 04-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Man gone for a few days and look what happens.

Stealth sorry i was otherwise ocupied when your .6 version came up so i didn't get a chance to try it out when it was posted i did download it as well as .7 last night and after fighting for several hours to get it working to tune other channels on both versions it was a bust. I will record HD channels but wont seem to change them in either live viewing or in recorded viewing. Live seems to have it's own problems sometimes i can view the channel it's stuck on sometimes not. Sage reports an error rendering the sound part.

After trying to get channels to tune in sage i reloaded your old test app and found it no longer wanted to tune channels either (I swear it was working before i don't know why it wont now i didn't change anything). So i finally figured out how to get it on channels i do generally record via the fusion app to get it on the channel i want and exit out of it. I now have sage setup to record 2 channels on HD 9.1 and 29.1 so i can get 24 and Enterprise's last eppisodes. I just gotta remember to change the channel in the fusion app after each one records. Edit: THough looking at some of the other posts it seems the fast switch option may fix this issue so i'll give that a try and see what it does. Though don't know why that would effect the old test app outside of sage. Could the filters or the graph not be getting cleared after use?:

Other than that the shows seem to record fine i get minor glitches in the video every now and again (just seems to be a frame or two with messed up blocks in them) but otherwise the shows record fine. I haven't seen in several test records any 0 length files so it seems to be fine here.

BTW this is OTA not QAM, I could try QAM but i only get 2 channels over cable and they were buggy even with the fusion app so i haven't used QAM. As you haven't gotten into that yet it's kinda a moot point anyway i guess.

Now at least i can get some of the shows i do still watch on the regular networks in HD. Now if only we could get QAM working (And some decent unencrypted cable channels in HD up here.

I want SCIFI-HD!

Thanks Stealth1971 You Da Man!
AMD athlon64X2 3800+, Foxconn (Winfast 6150K8MA-8EKRS) 6150, Windows Vista Ultimate, Geforce FX EVGA 7800gt CO, 1gig 400mhz ddr Ram, 500 gig Western Digital Sata 2 hard drive 8 meg cache, Tuners: Wintv PVR 500 dual tuner, Fusion3 GoldT, NEC 3540a dvd+rw, Sagetv 5.0 Dell 20.1" 2005FPW
Old 04-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake550
Stealth1971,

You said it would be slow going without a Fusion card yourself. I'll throw this offer out there....I have one and thought of two solutions to that problem.

1) I give you access to the machine with the Fusion card to do a remote desktop login whenever you like. If you don't require reboots and crashing the machine, this works.
2) I send you my card so you can do development on it. I'd of course like the card back when you are done. Only potential issue, do you have access to clear QAM channels where you are?

Let me know what you think of my proposal. I deperately want a single program that does HD and SD. RIght now, I am using MCE for SD (but I bought Sage a few months ago and switched). I'd switch back to sage in a flash if it worked for both HD and SD. I'd also love to be able to setup recording of HD.

-Brian

Heck if he continues to work on this to get it working fully i'd say that we should chip in to get him a card to keep.

I know i'd be willing to give to the cause to get fusion cards working in Sage properly. If we all chip in some bucks to do it, It would be worth it don't you think.

Otherwise optionally as i recall hearing the Creative HD is just the older fusion 3 card with creatives drivers and stickers on the card and that creative hasn't enabled QAM in it because they don't wanna mess with it till the whole things been sorted out by DVico or others. Not positive on that but it's what i've heard. If that is the case then he should be able to get it working as a fusion card by downloading the fusion app and drivers off of Dvicos site. As i said though im not possitive so it could and probably wouldend up messing up his system.

So i would still say getting him a actual fusion 3 card is the best bet so it's what i vote for. So im willing to toss in $20 to $30 for the cause.

How bout it guys Fusion3 for Stealth wadda ya say?
AMD athlon64X2 3800+, Foxconn (Winfast 6150K8MA-8EKRS) 6150, Windows Vista Ultimate, Geforce FX EVGA 7800gt CO, 1gig 400mhz ddr Ram, 500 gig Western Digital Sata 2 hard drive 8 meg cache, Tuners: Wintv PVR 500 dual tuner, Fusion3 GoldT, NEC 3540a dvd+rw, Sagetv 5.0 Dell 20.1" 2005FPW
Old 04-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio
hey crazed - I had the same issue with not being able to get the stupid fusion to correctly tune. IT worked once, stopped working and never worked again. I moved it to a different computer and it's working again. not sure exactly what the problem was. it worked in the fusion app, but not was stealth's bda-test app.
That is really odd... With the ATI card I can tune successfully everytime... Is there some sort of background Fusion program running somewhere using the device also?

As far as getting better support for the Fusion card (i.e. QAM), I have found a couple of other HTPC projects that claim to have HDTV support for Fusion cards (i.e. Media Portal???). I am looking to how these groups got it to work - looks like they used the WDM drivers/filters. Has anyone check out the MediaPortal app? Its open-source and their code looks like they know what they are doing...
Old 04-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I don't think Mediaportal supports ATSC though. Its fusion support is limited to DVB.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Beefcake550/Crazedz,

Thanks for the proposal for a Fusion card! That would be great, but I would feel more comfortable if I can get HDNE rock-solid for the OTA tuning/recording first. I have a couple of bugs that I am trying to fix right now and version 0.8 should be released shortly...

Stealth
Old 04-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Version 0.8 is available now in the first post!!! Thanks to everyone testing..
Old 04-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Foolio - can you send me the debug.txt file from the HDNE install dir, the output thats in the HDNE program window, and your servicelocator.xml file? (I had such high hopes for this verson - it was working flawlessly on my config )
Old 04-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Sage Expert

I'd be in for chipping in a few bucks to get stealth his own fusion card in turn for QAM work.

I can understand wanting to get OTA working first, so once you are ready to work on QAM, please let us know. I'm very interested in that and I have stable QAM channels from the cable company that I never have had trouble tuning.

-Brian
Old 04-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

0.8 didn't work for me. It kept tuning to the same channel.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Sage User

For those that are interested I have purchased an Avermedia A180 and should be here Wendsday. I will be putting it in a MCE box but will definitaly spend the time to try to get it working with Stealth's plugin.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

flashbacck - can I get the same info I asked Foolio for in post #58?

thanx - the debug/console output will help get the bottom of this

I am think I am going to to order a Fusion card sooner than later so that I can debug faster and see the results you guys are... (Also Comcast broadcasts quite abit "in the clear" over QAM)