SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I was thinking... I might have use for this encoder after all!

Is there an stvi plugin to integrate the below menu items into the existing SageTV 4 stv seemlessly? If not, any chance we could see something like this?

Prorgram Information/Options/Record Options/Also Export Show to Divx/Dixv6 Quality (Hi Def, Home Theater, Mobile, PDA).

My opinion is, that's the best way to integrate the encoder into SageTV. Seemless integration to the existing UI.

Is this a possibility?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
Is there an stvi plugin to integrate the below menu items into the existing SageTV 4 stv seemlessly? If not, any chance we could see something like this?
I have just started looking into something like this as an import. I was thinking of the way that the Cayers STV used to queue up recordings for compression. I also thought it would be nice to be able to select whether to replace the original recording with the compressed version. or to keep both copies.

If anyone already has a head-start on something like this, please let me know and maybe we can pool resources!
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enormous
I have just started looking into something like this as an import. I was thinking of the way that the Cayers STV used to queue up recordings for compression. I also thought it would be nice to be able to select whether to replace the original recording with the compressed version. or to keep both copies.

If anyone already has a head-start on something like this, please let me know and maybe we can pool resources!
Yes! Seemless integration to the existing UI is definately the way to go. That would be totally cool to use just a remote control to transcode a movie in the recording menu options as opposed to using external apps. I'm surprised nobody has done this yet.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 AM

Good morning. This project is of great interest to me, as it could add functionality to SageTV that BeyondTV has. Specifically, their product has a feature called "showsqueeze" which allows WMV encoding of the MPG2 files generated by the PVR app. There are two cool things about showsqueeze.

1) It does this automatically overnight (in a user defined window of time).
2) you have many different choices for encoding parameters. You can even choose between WMV7 and WMV9. WMV7 is much much faster, and seemingly only a little worse in quality. The encoding parameters setting is critical for me, as I'll explain in a minute.

I think your application can basically eliminate #1 as a differentiating feature in Showsqueeze - although I'm having some difficulty understanding the parameters and how they work (triggers, etc.), I think yours, once configured, will allow for more timely conversion

If you could fix #2 for me, I'd be thrilled beyond belief. Basically, rather than encoding for streaming, I want to encode for a portable media center (creative zen pmc). The parameters I need are as follows:
WMV versions 7-10, I think (I've been watching things enoded to 7 and 9)
320x240 resolution
total bitrate of <800 megabits

As far as I can see from your app, there doesn't seem to be any interface for the user to change these parameters to include resolution. Is there any possible way for you to do this? Even a configuration file which allows the user to change resolution, video bitrate and audio bitrate would be perfectly adequate.

Until then, I am using an application called M2PMCEncoderZX which I found on the net about a month ago. The author's site seems to be gone now. He offers a queue based system which includes the ability to set these parameters (as well as trimming and cropping, which aren't essential for me). I've attached a screenshot of his "advanced options" screen so you can see the sort of options he offers for encoding.
[edit, I think I found the author's site for this: http://www.marauderzstuff.com/progra...x/default.aspx

I know the video ipod has gotten most of the press for on the go video lately (and I'm a big iPod supporter), but there are those of us with a need for WMV files in 320x240 too.

Thanks,
bonmot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M2PMCEncoderZX.jpg (65.0 KB, 211 views)
Old 12-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

bonmot,

I'll have to look into that and see what I can come up with. Standby...

-AJ
Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

bonmot,

Ok, I had to remember how my program works as I haven't messed with it in awhile, but both of your problems are taken care of, in a way.

1) You can tell SageEncoder when and when not to encode files. This was released in the last version and maybe one previous.

2) When you install SageEncoder, there's a file called "tvshows.prx" that you copy to the "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder" folder (typically). You should be able to double click that file and it'll open up in a dialog box that allows you to adjust the settings to your heart's desire. When I call WME and tell it to encode a show, I pass it that file, with whatever customizations you have, over to the encoder.

Hope that addresses what you were after, if not, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

-AJ
Old 12-13-2005, 10:02 AM

AJ,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check that out. Right now I'm sort of struggling to configure it in its default mode. I'm not running any comskip stuff right now, and I don't have any any aftermarket editing software either, but I am running nielm's webserver.

1) Assuming that I want to re-encode everything automatically (no intervention), what options do I select?
2) If I want to re-encode only selected shows with the webserver, what options do I selet?

I think your tool is optimized for the uber power user, and this leaves me in a fog of confusion to some degree. I'm not worthy:-(

Sorry if it's been covered in the thread already.

best,
bonmot
Old 12-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

bonmot,

I guess I have some work to do if it's overly confusing. I meant this to be a fairly straightforward interface for people to use...

1) see "encode all.png"

2) assuming you've got the web interface setup correctly to use this function, see "web select.png"

Of course prior to setting these checkboxes you need to go to the setup menu and set all your input/output directories so that it knows where your files are coming from and where you want them to go to. Make sense?

-AJ
Attached Images
File Type: png encode all.png (70.0 KB, 247 views)
File Type: png web select.png (69.2 KB, 211 views)
Old 12-14-2005, 01:32 PM

AJ,

Ah. That makes more sense. Yesterday, I got method 2 working (the parameters are set as you have them in the image). I'll try method 1 tonight.

The options for encoding (tvshows.prx) are really awesome. i was able to get the wmv output files into a format that works very well for my portable media center. Thanks for your help. This is really exciting!

bonmot
Old 12-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Bonmot,

Glad that cleared it up for you and that you're finding the program useful! Let me know if anything else is unclear.

-AJ
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just saw this thread browsing thru the forums. I have a couple of questions.
1. When the file is converted, is the original left there or deleted or what?
2. Is there a way to have it output the converted file to any directory?

TIA
Old 12-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettman
I just saw this thread browsing thru the forums. I have a couple of questions.
1. When the file is converted, is the original left there or deleted or what?
2. Is there a way to have it output the converted file to any directory?

TIA
1. Original file is left completely intact and unaltered.
2. You can output the file anywhere you want. Actually, you can output the file 2 anywhere's you want, if you want. As the program was designed to have a web interface, the primary output will create html files to acompany the output file, but the second output directory will only have the output file. If I ever get jazzed about this again I'd probably fix that to make it an option. As it is I've been writing enough code at work to keep me satisfied for now

Hope that helps.

-AJ
Old 12-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok I have everything setup and running fine, thanks for all your hard work. How can I change the link on the html page so instead of pointing to driveletter:/show.wmv it is listed as mms://server/show.wmv ? I have sage installed on windows 2003 server so I enabled windows media server and have setup the directories to point to the output of sage encoder. Now all I need is a for the links on the pages geneerated by sage enocder to use the mms://server/show.wmv link and i'll be able to stream shows using windows media server.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_kid
Ok I have everything setup and running fine, thanks for all your hard work. How can I change the link on the html page so instead of pointing to driveletter:/show.wmv it is listed as mms://server/show.wmv ? I have sage installed on windows 2003 server so I enabled windows media server and have setup the directories to point to the output of sage encoder. Now all I need is a for the links on the pages geneerated by sage enocder to use the mms://server/show.wmv link and i'll be able to stream shows using windows media server.
As it stands right, there are two ways to accomplish this. 1) I need to modify the software. 2) you write a script that goes through and modifies the html file.

Shouldn't be too big of a mod to make that an option... so now I just need to find time to do that.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi,

just tried your tool, but I have one problem:
I am only interested to recode to divx, but the current version of VirtualDub (1.6.11?) does not seem to recognize mpeg2 files. With what version did you test?

Oliver

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by owilsky
Hi,

just tried your tool, but I have one problem:
I am only interested to recode to divx, but the current version of VirtualDub (1.6.11?) does not seem to recognize mpeg2 files. With what version did you test?

Oliver
I tested it with virtual dub version 1.5.10. I'm surprised that the latest version doesn't support mpeg2 files...but I'm not sure what to point you towards to help with that... other then I do know it works with the version I've used.

-AJ
Old 01-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

It's becoming apparent that this program needs to be tweaked a bit to meet the needs that are coming up here recently. Please submit any requests/comments/bugs and I'll try to have a new release this weekend.

-AJ
Old 01-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
Yes! Seemless integration to the existing UI is definately the way to go. That would be totally cool to use just a remote control to transcode a movie in the recording menu options as opposed to using external apps. I'm surprised nobody has done this yet.
I also agree this would be great for an import!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettman
I also agree this would be great for an import!
That'll teach me to ask
Ok, well, I won't promise that for this weekend, but I'll take a look see...
Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

I also would like an import for the default sage stv.

And I would like to be able to use any tool to encode to divx, at the moment VirtualDub is hardcoded. Maybe others would like other command line driven tools like ffmpeg.

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!

Last edited by owilsky; 01-04-2006 at 10:05 AM.