SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:08 PM

Giga Pocket

I came across SageTV because of the following link: http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=4314

The person claims to have gotten Giga Pocket to work with SageTV, but unfortunately, I have not had the same success. Whenever I try to watch TV, I just get a gray screen. I've tried every channel, but they are all gray. I know that the channel guide is correct because they are the same channels that I receive on my TV. Do you have any idea what I should do?
Old 02-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Sage User

I've had some success using the drivers found here. The card works just fine with Recorder running as a network encoder but SageTV adds it to it's ignore list.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your post. I installed the drivers, but I didn't have any success. Is there some configuration I'm missing? All I've done so far is go through the setup wizard. Did you download any other drivers off that site?
Old 02-20-2005, 03:04 PM
Sage User

Bummer, the only other Sony related stuff I have installed now are the "Sony Shared Library for XP" and "Sony DV Shared Library" which I'm not sure if I downloaded from the Japan Vaio site or the US site. I highly doubt if they would make any difference. Actually you've gotten farther than I have since mine is always added to the ignore list. I'm happy it's usable as a network encoder now but would like to consolidate my hardware a little in the future.

Do you get the same results using Recorder compared to SageTV? Also does your card show up as SMRT Capture or another name?
Old 02-20-2005, 03:42 PM

My card shows up as a SOMA Capture card. It seems to proceed through the setup alright, but I don't end up with it displaying TV. I don't get any error messages at all. Also, I didn't have any success with Recorder. Recorder was also able to detect the SOMA Capture card.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:16 PM

In my search to solve my problems, I found something that might be useful to you: http://p200.ezboard.com/funofficials...icID=482.topic

Mainly, this part:
"Also if your Mpegr2 engine doesnt show up as a device in 3rd party software, a neat trick is to register all sony's filters (those that have a ".ax" extention. You'll find those in gigapockets folder, as well as the sony shared folders.

You'll need to register em one by one,by going to the start menu, run...and typing in "regserv32 `c:\program files\sony\gigapocket\ (name if .ax file here). then just hit enter, and enter again when ya get the popup."

Note that it should be regsvr32, not regserv32.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Sage User

YES!! I got my Sony GigaPocket working with SageTV

I know that this is an old thread, but I thought I'd let everybody know that I managed to get SageTV working with the built-in TV tuner card in my Sony VAIO desktop. The Sony VAIO desktops come with a PVR-like program called GigaPocket but it really sucks. When I first installed SageTV, I just got a gray screen for all my channels. Then I followed the advice in the link above and now everything is working.

Specifically, you need to register all of the Sony .ax files. There are a lot of them, so I automated the process. First, open a command window by clicking start-> run and then type cmd and press enter.

From the command window, type as follows:
cd "c:\Program Files\Sony"
dir /S /B *.ax

This will give you a list of all of the .ax files in all of the subdirectories. You need to copy this list into a text file. First, click the window icon at the top left-hand side of the command window. When the menu drops down choose edit-> Mark. Now you can drag the mouse to select the entire list of files. Don't forget to scroll up and start with the first file in the list. When you have selected the entire list, press enter to copy the text.

Next, open Notepad and paste the text into a new document. Now use the search and replace feature as follows. First, replace all instances of c:\
with the following
regsvr32 "c:\

Then, replace all instances of
.ax
with the following
.ax"

Finally, save the file somewhere easy to remember would the file extension .bat. For example, you could save it as c:\giga.bat

Now all you have to do is run the batch file that you just created. You can either double-click it or run it from the command window. To run it from the command window simply enter the filename by itself on the command line. When you run it, it will display a dialog box for each file that was successfully registered.

After I did the above, I was able to use my Sony VAIO GigaPocket TV tuner with SageTV.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

At a DOS prompt, in the directory with the .ax files:

for each %v in (*.ax) do regsvr32 %v
Old 07-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Sage User

Neat Solution

The for loop is a neat solution, but it is a lot of extra work because there are several subdirectories which have .ax files. The best way to be sure that you get all of the files used to use the dir /S /B syntax.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Sage User

Update on GigaPocket

Well, it looks like my celebration was premature. Although I did manage to get SageTV to record using my Sony VAIO GigaPocket TV tuner card, the recording is of very poor quality. The video stutters, and the audio is out of sync by several seconds. I'm just guessing, but I suspect that the TV tuner used in the Sony VAIO somehow relies on the GigaPocket software for performance. The PC itself is a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 meg of RAM, so I doubt the problem is PC resources.

If anyone does manage to get the VAIO to record reliably, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm going to buy a dedicated PC for my SageTV.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:57 PM

Unhappy HELP!!!!

hi there I own a sony vaio and the probleam im having is that i changed my os and now i cannot install giga pocket so im trying very hard to use sage tv.
I have all the latest drivers but i just need help on setting up my giga pocket tuner on sage tv.

thanks for the help people.

From Dean
Old 02-14-2006, 07:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus
Well, it looks like my celebration was premature. Although I did manage to get SageTV to record using my Sony VAIO GigaPocket TV tuner card, the recording is of very poor quality. The video stutters, and the audio is out of sync by several seconds. I'm just guessing, but I suspect that the TV tuner used in the Sony VAIO somehow relies on the GigaPocket software for performance. The PC itself is a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 meg of RAM, so I doubt the problem is PC resources..
With this being the result, why would you want to? Plus, it required registering all of the GigaPocket .ax files. If you don't have them I doubt you'll be able to get it working.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:46 PM

done!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:thumb:

Hi its dean

actualy your wrong, its now working for me fine and all i did was hacked the boot disc and now i installed giga pocket, sage tv and then unstalled giga pocket, and its now working fine for me.
the reason why i changed my os to media center 2005 because i wanted to use the media center facility on the new xbox 360, now all it is working fine.
the only trouble im experencing is trying to setup my tv tuner to work with media center 2005 so i can watch live tv on my xbox 360.

from dean
Old 05-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean1990
Hi its dean

all i did was hacked the boot disc and now i installed giga pocket, sage tv and then unstalled giga pocket, and its now working fine for me.
Can you tell me what you mean by "hacked the boot disc"? I have SageTV working but it will only tune to channel 13. Ch14 and up appear gray. I've tried using "freq fixer" but still no success.